The Waterloo based Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) has released a new series of essays on Cybersecurity and Outer Space.
The comprehensive series of 17 essays is divided into three primary sections; space security and risk, international governance and challenges, and global perspectives and the pursuit of inclusivity. The latter includes an essay from a Chinese academic on Chinese Thinking on the Space-Cyber Nexus.
CIGI describes the series as follows.
The dramatic expansion of space capabilities has transformed space systems into critical infrastructure for many aspects of human society and for national security. With opportunities for global societal benefits come risks. The global governance framework remains weak and contested. Vulnerabilities now exist with space systems, and these are especially pronounced in the face of cyberthreats. We now confront a volatile “space-cyber nexus,” which this essay series explores across a diverse and wide range of perspectives. The series is organized around three themes: space security and risk; international governance challenges; and global perspectives and the pursuit of inclusivity.Centre for International Governance Innovation
The list of essays includes;
- Foreword: Is the Earth’s Orbit Becoming a Lawless Frontier?
- Securing the New Space Domain: An Introduction
Space Security and Risk
- Where Outer Space Meets Cyberspace: A Human-Centric Look at Space Security
- The Five Eyes and Space: A New Frontier for an Old Intelligence Alliance
- Responding to the Cybersecurity Challenges of the New Space Environment
- The Growth of the Space Economy and New Cyber Vulnerabilities
- The Cyber Counterspace Threat: Coming Out of the Shadows
- Commercial Space Operators on the Digital Battlefield
International Governance and Challenges
- Formulating, Interpreting and Applying International Law in Space
- Cyberproofing India’s Space Assets
- International Humanitarian Law in the “Grey Zone” of Space and Cyber
- The Ungoverned Space of US Space-Cyber Governance
- The Cyber Phantom Menace to Space Security
Global Perspectives and the Pursuit of Inclusivity
- Cybersecurity of Space Infrastructure and Space Sustainability: Japan’s View
- Space and Cyber Global Governance: A View from the Global South
- Chinese Thinking on the Space-Cyber Nexus
There are also three short videos including;