The Canadian Space Summit is being held in Ottawa between November 19th through the 20th. It is an annual gathering of industry, academia, government, non-profit organizations, students and enthusiasts. This year’s theme is “2010: A Canadian Space Odyssey”. With over 35 speakers, an exhibit area and a free Friday night public discussion titled “Meet Canada’s Space Industry” hosted by the CBC’s Johanna Wagstaffe, it’s sure to be a great summit.
The summit gets underway Friday with the National Space Awareness Workshop hosted by the Canadian Alumni of the International Space University (CAISU), private meetings and a special information sessions by sponsor Analytical Graphics, Inc. (AGI). The AGI sessions offer an introduction to their software and a educational grants competition:
– Session One – 3-3:50pm – Satellite System Design Software
– Session Two – 4-4:50pm – AGI’s Educational Alliance and University Grant Competition
You can participate in the AGI sessions by contact the CSS organizers.
After a full day of events, Friday evening offers a free Friday public discussion titled “Meet Canada’s Space Industry” hosted by the CBC’s Johanna Wagstaffe.
Saturday and Sunday will see over 35 speakers covering a wide variety of topics from Canada’s role in space exploration, education and outreach, earth observation, life sciences, astronomy, space commercialization and law and policy.
Keynote and select featured speakers include:
– Dr. Iain Christie – President, Neptec Design Group Inc.
– Colonel Andre Dupuis – Director of Space Development, Department of National Defence
– Dr. Jim Fergusson – Director of the Centre for Defence and Security Studies
– Douglas Bancroft – Director General, Canada Centre for Remote Sensing (CCRS)
– Jean-Claude Piedboeuf – Head, Exploration Planning, Canadian Space Agency
– Dr. Nadeem Ghafoor – Manager, Planetary Exploration, MDA
– Mike Gold – Director DC Operations, Bigelow Aerospace
Other organizations providing speakers include; Natural Resources Canada, National Research Council, Bigelow Aerospace, COM DEV, INO, Systmes Humains-Machines inc., Smithsonian Institute, Ontario Drive and Gear, Canadian Space Commerce Association, Space Generation Advisory Council, Concordia University, University of Alberta, University of Winnipeg, University of Ottawa, McGill University, University of Western Ontario, cole Polytechnique de Montral, Universit Laval, York University, University of Toronto, University of Guelph, University of Saskatchewan, University of British Columbia, University of Manitoba and the Waterloo Region District School Board.
Registration is still open but banquet tickets must be purchased by this Thursday.